News for 'malegaon blasts'

These men could solve India's terror jigsaw

These men could solve India's terror jigsaw

Rediff.com11 Jan 2011

Investigators told rediff.com that the Malegaon blasts will be the key since it is concerned to be the mother of this terror jigsaw as the breakthroughs were first made in that case.

Meet the youth who inspired Aseemanand to confess

Meet the youth who inspired Aseemanand to confess

Rediff.com8 Jan 2011

Aseemanand, who confessed to being in the know of the Mecca Masjid, Samjhauta, Ajmer and Malegaon blasts, also stated prior to his confession that it was a boy named Abdul Kaleem, who inspired him to make this confession before the magistrate

BJP MP Pragya Thakur faints at party event in Bhopal

BJP MP Pragya Thakur faints at party event in Bhopal

Rediff.com23 Jun 2020

Bharatiya Janata Party's Lok Sabha member from Bhopal Pragya Singh Thakur fainted during an event organised at party office on Tuesday to pay tributes to Bharatiya Jan Sangh founder Syama Prasad Mookherjee on his death anniversary.

Cong has put my daughter in jail: Sadhvi Pragya's mother

Cong has put my daughter in jail: Sadhvi Pragya's mother

Rediff.com24 Jan 2012

Mother of Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, prime accused in the September 2008 Malegaon blast case, on Tuesday said that her daughter had been "falsely implicated" and was "innocent".

Pragya Thakur moves HC over travel cost

Pragya Thakur moves HC over travel cost

Rediff.com23 Jan 2012

In her petition filed before the high court, Thakur, who is currently lodged in the Byculla jail in Mumbai, said she is ready to incur the cost of both rail and/or air fare if there is any technical or procedural hitch in the same, as her safety and security is paramount.

Nashik: Sadhvi Pragya refuses treatment

Nashik: Sadhvi Pragya refuses treatment

Rediff.com29 Mar 2010

Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, who was admitted to Nashik Civil hospital, has refused to take medical treatment, hospital said on Monday.

'Let the govt produce evidence against sadhvi'

'Let the govt produce evidence against sadhvi'

Rediff.com25 Nov 2008

Bharatiya Janata Party General Secretary Arun Jaitely answered questions from rediff.com readers on the forthcoming assembly elections and also the ramifications of the Malegaon blast probe on November 25.

Purohit is an aberration, says Army chief

Purohit is an aberration, says Army chief

Rediff.com8 Jan 2011

Army Chief General V K Singh said there was no communalism in the service and officers such as Malegaon blast accused Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Purohit were only an "aberration".

Sadhvi Pragya undergoes narco-analysis test

Sadhvi Pragya undergoes narco-analysis test

Rediff.com4 Nov 2008

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and another person, arrested for their alleged involvement in the September 29 Malegaon blast, were subjected to narco-analysis tests in Mumbai on Monday.The Sadhvi and Sameer Kulkarni underwent the scientific tests conducted by officials of the Forensic Science Laboratory in a hospital in south Mumbai, Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad officials said.The tests on former army officer Ramesh Upadhyay is likely to be conducted on Wednesday.

'No 'terror meet' took place on our campus'

'No 'terror meet' took place on our campus'

Rediff.com31 Oct 2008

Nashik-based Bhonsalal Military School (BMS) on Friday said no meeting took place in the institution among retired major Ramesh Shivji Upadhyay, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur and a serving lieutanant Colonel, who have been interrogated in connection with the Malegaon blasts.

Explosives found in Malegaon

Explosives found in Malegaon

Rediff.com13 Sep 2006

The entire area has been cordoned off.

Digvijay repeats Karkare charge, gets slammed

Digvijay repeats Karkare charge, gets slammed

Rediff.com11 Dec 2010

Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh on Saturday made a sensational claim that two hours before the terrorists struck in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, Anti-Terror Squad chief Hemant Karkare had called him and informed him that his life was under threat from those who opposed to his probe into the Malegaon blast.

Sadhvi Pragya moves Bombay HC for bail

Sadhvi Pragya moves Bombay HC for bail

Rediff.com28 Aug 2009

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, the main accused in the Malegaon blast case, has moved the Bombay High Court seeking bail, after her plea was rejected by the Maharashtra Control Of Organised Crime Act court. The court on Friday adjourned the hearing for two weeks as the Anti Terrorism Squad sought time to file its reply. Earlier, the special MCOCA court had rejected her bail application. According to Thakur's lawyer, advocate Ganesh Sowani, she had been illegally detained.

Sadhvi Pragya being shifted to Mumbai

Sadhvi Pragya being shifted to Mumbai

Rediff.com3 Sep 2010

She was being shifted from Nashik Ayurvedic Hospital to JJ Hospital in Mumbai following a court order. However, she developed chest pain after starting for Mumbai at around 1.30 pm, her lawyer Umesh Walzade told PTI.

Shakeel gang wanted to kill Sadhvi's lawyers

Shakeel gang wanted to kill Sadhvi's lawyers

Rediff.com11 Jul 2009

Shooters of underworld don Chhota Shakeel gang were targeting not only the lawyer of Bharatiya Janata Party Member of Parliament Varun Gandhi but also the advocates of right wing Hindu activist Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, who is the prime accused in the Malegaon blasts case. "Our probe revealed that they (the shooters of Chhota Shakeel gang) wanted to eliminate lawyers of Pragya Thakur," said sources in the Mumbai Crime Branch.

HC satisfied with ATS reply to Bhagwat murder plot

HC satisfied with ATS reply to Bhagwat murder plot

Rediff.com20 Jul 2010

The Bombay high court said on Tuesday it was satisfied with the measures adopted by anti-terrorism squad police in connection with the alleged conspiracy to murder Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh chief Mohan Bhagwat.

HC brings back Sadhvi Pragya under MCOCA

HC brings back Sadhvi Pragya under MCOCA

Rediff.com19 Jul 2010

The court ruling came following a state government appeal against the sessions court decision to set aside MCOCA against the Sadhvi and others.

'Shiney is being treated like any other accused'

'Shiney is being treated like any other accused'

Rediff.com16 Jun 2009

As actor Shiney Ahuja faces serious charges including rape, his lawyer Shrikant Shivade fields Nithya Ramani's questions on the case.

I have been framed by non-believers: Sadhvi Pragya

I have been framed by non-believers: Sadhvi Pragya

Rediff.com26 Apr 2011

Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, an accused in the Malegaon blast case and the murder of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh pracharak Sunil Joshi on Tuesday claimed that she was innocent and had been framed by 'non-believers'.

RSS is not a militant outfit: New chief

RSS is not a militant outfit: New chief

Rediff.com3 Apr 2009

With allegations being made against various Hindu outfits in the wake of the Malegaon blast, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat today said his organisation was a "disciplined force and not a militant outfit".

Sadhvi Pragya suffers mild heart attack

Sadhvi Pragya suffers mild heart attack

Rediff.com15 Apr 2010

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, one of the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, suffered a mild heart attack on Wednesday night and her condition is now stable, hospital sources said on Thursday.

Sadhvi alleges she is served non-veg food in jail

Sadhvi alleges she is served non-veg food in jail

Rediff.com3 Mar 2009

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, one of the prime accused in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, on Tuesday approached the special Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act court seeking home food alleging that she is being served non-vegetarian food in the prison.

HC rejects Pragya Thakur's bail plea

HC rejects Pragya Thakur's bail plea

Rediff.com12 Mar 2010

The Bombay High Court on Friday rejected the plea of 2008 Malegaon blast case prime accused sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur for liberty observing that no case had been made out for granting bail.

Maharashtra ATS to question Muthalik

Maharashtra ATS to question Muthalik

Rediff.com30 Jan 2009

A three member team of the Mumbai Anti Terrorist Squad arrived in Mangalore to interrogate Shri Ram Sena founder Pramod Muthalik in connection with the Malegaon blast case. The ATS is in Mangalore to interrogate Muthalik who was sent to a day's police custody.

I am proud of my husband, says Karkare's wife

I am proud of my husband, says Karkare's wife

Rediff.com5 Jan 2009

On the Malegaon probe issue, Kavita said her husband "wasn't under pressure from what I understood... because according to the Bhagvad Gita if you are fighting evil, even if your gurus are not doing the right thing, you must continue your fight. He was not confused, his ideas, his ideology was fixed, even the investigations were going smoothly, he had finished his work."

Mumbai police submit report on Karkare's death

Mumbai police submit report on Karkare's death

Rediff.com23 Dec 2008

The Mumbai police on Monday night submitted a report to the Maharashtra government on the death of Anti-Terrorist Squad chief Hemant Karkare.In its report, the police states that neither of the four bullets found on Karkare's body were police bullets. The report further suggests that Karkare's death had nothing to do with the Malegaon blast probe, which he was heading prior to his death.

Advani and Abhinav Bharat threaten India: Cong

Advani and Abhinav Bharat threaten India: Cong

Rediff.com25 Nov 2008

The Congress on Tuesday attempted to drag Bharatiya Janata Party leader L K Advani and the saffron party into the Malegaon blast case controversy, accusing the BJP's prime ministerial candidate and the party of making the 'first political interference' in the terror case. "The internal security of the country is today threatened by two As -- Advani and Abhinav Bharat," senior party leader M Veerappa Moily told reporters.

'My father not in plot to kill RSS leaders'

'My father not in plot to kill RSS leaders'

Rediff.com21 Nov 2008

Shivram Apte, son of Shyam Hari Apte, has strongly refuted claims that his father had given self-styled religious guru Dayanand Pandey Rs 10 lakh to kill Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh General Secretary Mohan Bhagwat and RSS communications director Indraeesh, as reported by a national daily on Friday."This is our wrong 15 minutes of fame," said an agitated Apte, who owns a software consultancy firm in Pune.

Barbaric treatment to sadhvi shocking: Advani

Barbaric treatment to sadhvi shocking: Advani

Rediff.com18 Nov 2008

"It has become clear that the ATS is acting in a politically-motivated and unprofessional manner. After going through her (sadhvi Pragya) affidavit, I have to express my shock and outrage, which I am sure all Indians will share," BJP leader L K Advani said during his one-day tour of the poll-bound BJP-ruled Chattisgarh state.

BJP chief has change of heart on terrorism

BJP chief has change of heart on terrorism

Rediff.com18 Nov 2008

The probe into the Malegaon blast in which several Hindu radicals have been arrested has made Bhartiya Janata Party President Rajnath Singh have a change of heart on the question of attributing terrorism to any religion or community. "It is wrong to generalise acts of terror as Islamic terrorism or Hindu terrorism. No one should be allowed to communalise terrorism," Singh said at a press conference in Lucknow on Tuesday evening.

'If they planted the bomb, we are proud of them'

'If they planted the bomb, we are proud of them'

Rediff.com17 Nov 2008

A host of pro-Hindutva outfits, including Abhinav Bharat, organised a meeting in Pune on Sunday to raise money for the accused in the Malegaon blast case.Taking strong exception to the expression 'Hindu terrorism' being used in regard to the suspects booked by the Anti-Terrorism Squad -- Sadhvi Pragya Singh, Lt Col Shrikant Purohit and Dayanand Pandey -- Abhinav Bharat president Himani Savarkar told the gathering that the money collected would be used for the legal battles.

Andhra cops want to probe sadhvi Pragya

Andhra cops want to probe sadhvi Pragya

Rediff.com7 Nov 2008

Andhra Pradesh police officials including members of elite anti terrorist force OCTOPUS will soon go to Mumbai to question Sadhvi Pragya Singh, Shrikant Purohit and other suspects who were arrested in connection with the Malegaon blast.

Digvijay hits back at BJP over Karkare issue

Digvijay hits back at BJP over Karkare issue

Rediff.com12 Dec 2010

Congress leader Digvijay Singh, who has kicked up a storm over his remarks on slain top cop Hement Karkare, on Sunday attacked the Bharatiya Janata Party, maintaining that the Maharashtra Anti Terrorist Squad chief's life was under threat and the opposition lent its support to Hindu radical groups.

Rift in Sangh Parivar over Pragya Singh's arrest

Rift in Sangh Parivar over Pragya Singh's arrest

Rediff.com26 Oct 2008

Attacking the BJP, Bhartiya Janshakti Party chief Uma Bharti expressed 'shock' that the party and its affiliated organisations were 'disowning' 38-year-old Pragya Singh Thakur, the sadhvi, who is suspected to have links with right-wing Hindu Jagaran Manch.

Army orders probe into activities of Purohit

Army orders probe into activities of Purohit

Rediff.com17 Mar 2009

The army has ordered a departmental inquiry by a three-member team led by a brigadier-level officer into the activites of Lt Col S P Purohit arrested for his alleged involvement in Malegaon blasts.

And Thus Was Born NIA...

And Thus Was Born NIA...

Rediff.com8 Aug 2024

Even though the NIA claims that more than 90 per cent of cases charge-sheeted have ended in conviction, the figure is likely misleading. To date, very few cases investigated by the NIA have resulted in a completed trial, points out former CBI joint director Navneet Rajan Wasan.

Sadhvi Pragya to challenge MCOCA charge in HC

Sadhvi Pragya to challenge MCOCA charge in HC

Rediff.com22 Jan 2009

Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur has decided to move the Bombay High Court challenging the provisions of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crimes Act which has been slapped against her in connection with the Malegaon case.

Bombay HC  grants bail to 2 Malegaon accused

Bombay HC grants bail to 2 Malegaon accused

Rediff.com3 Aug 2011

In a major setback to National Investigation Agency, the Bombay High Court today granted bail to two accused in the September 2008 Malegaon bomb blast case, after observing that there was no material to connect the duo to the blast.

Purohit's judicial custody extended

Purohit's judicial custody extended

Rediff.com5 Jan 2009

The judicial custody of Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Purohit, accused of being involved in the Malegaon blast, was on Monday extended till January 17 by a local court in a case relating to procuring arms license on fake documents.The army officer was produced before Judge V V Joshi after the end of his judicial custody today.The court sent Purohit in judicial remand for another 12 days, his counsel Avinash Bhide told PTI.

Police planted obscene material on laptop: Pandey

Police planted obscene material on laptop: Pandey

Rediff.com12 Dec 2008

Dayanand Pandey, arrested in connection with September 29 Malegaon blast case, has alleged that the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) has planted obscene material on his laptop seized by them and then released it to the media to tarnish his image before the public.